While many people think of orthodontics as something for teenagers, the truth is that your child should receive an orthodontic evaluation no later than age 7. The American Association of Orthodontists® recommends that your child receive an orthodontic screening by this age to determine whether early treatment will be needed or not.
Why Your Child Should Receive an Orthodontic Checkup by Age 7:
- Orthodontists can spot subtle problems with jaw growth and erupting teeth while the baby teeth are still present.
- Even if your child’s teeth are perfectly straight, there are some problems that only an orthodontist can diagnose. Early treatment provides the opportunity to detect these problems before any damage can occur.
- The orthodontist may identify a developing problem that does not require immediate treatment. This check-up helps us monitor your child’s growth and development to determine when the most appropriate time to begin treatment may be.
- In some cases, the orthodontist may diagnose a problem that requires early treatment in order to prevent further problems and damage to your child’s oral health and smile in the future.
- If early treatment is needed, the orthodontist will likely be able to achieve better results than if treatment had been provided after the face and jaws had stopped growing.
- Early treatment may give your orthodontist the chance to:
- Guide jaw growth
- Lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
- Correct harmful oral habits
- Improve your child’s appearance
- Guide permanent teeth into their optimal positions
- Improve the ways the lips meet
Through an early orthodontic evaluation, you can give your child the best opportunity for a healthy, beautiful smile.
At Morris Orthodontics, our goal is to provide each patient who visits us with the most appropriate treatment at the most appropriate time. Please contact us at 615-431-2787 to learn more about your child’s initial orthodontic screening in Hendersonville, Tennessee, and schedule a visit with Dr. Morris.